Hi, I’m Khailee.
I’m passionate about creating the future via the products, businesses, and the teams I bring together. I also like making costumes.
Here’s a bit about me in context of…
Scaling startups as a founder
- Co-founded group buying site GroupsMore.com . Launched in 3 weeks, grew it to largest player in Malaysia in 3 months, then sold to Groupon.
- Co-founded SAYS.com, a social news company in Southeast Asia, and grew it into a fast-growing, profitable business with some of the biggest brands in the world as returning customers. Recently merged with public listed media company Catcha Media Berhad.
My passion for startups and entrepreneurship
- Spending time with 500 Startup’s Batch 5 as a Entrepreneur-in-Residence and startup mentor, and then becoming a Venture Partner, investing a $10M fund in Southeast Asia for 500 Startups.
- In 2011, was selected by US State Govt for the IVLP (a program which counts Tony Blair, and other heads of state) to go on an all expenses paid one month learning trip across the USA to meet with VCs, incubators, startups to deepen knowledge and connections with the global startup ecosystem
- Spent time with Richard Branson to brainstorm on Virgin Unite’s entrepreneurial development initiatives.
- (Prior to 500 Startups) Angel investor and advisor to early-stage startups in US and Asia.
Agile product development, as a product guy
- UX backrground: Designing websites for money since age 15 (self taught)
- Managed product, user acquisition, and development teams for http://mindvalley.com, built early stage social bookmarking site, BlinkList.
Pitching and selling, as a business guy
- Won the HSBC Young Entrepreneur Award 2006 Best in Asia, a startup pitching contest beating 1,700 teams in Asia. (First and only time Malaysia won this)
- For SAYS.com, single handedly pitched and brought on 70 of the nation’s largest advertisers including Coke, Nike, Unilever, Nestle to drive early stages of its business
- Successfully raised funding from venture capitalists for SAYS.com
Business + Art geek in school
- Studied business and marketing in California (SF State, UC Berkeley) and Australia (University of Technology, Sydney) graduating at top 2% of my class. Graduating speaker (Speech here)
- In college, performed monologue of the Tell-tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe, winning college drama competitions, art competitions for my pixel sketches, and photography competitions
- Was selected from a nationwide search by McKinsey, but turned down the opportunity to work with them to pursue the startup life (no regrets here!)
What drives me
- Creating the future via great products
- Working with passionate, brilliant people
- Creating spaces which lift the spirit and spur creativity (Eg. The Secret Hideout, and The Canvas)
- Enjoying and experiencing every moment deeply
- Working towards the next renaissance in humanity
- Twitter @khailee
- Email : khailee at says dot com